Wednesday, December 10, 2008

TEACHER FOR THE JUNGLE CHILDREN


I knew her about five years ago from a shred of a newspaper. The picture told me that the thin girl teaching the jungle children was a tough and soft girl all at once. Now, although I am sure it is not her purpose, she becomes more popular. Certainly you know her.
Saur Marlina Manurung or famously known as Butet Manurung, a girl who was born on February 21st, 1972 in Jakarta is a scholar of anthropology and Indonesian literature of Padjadjaran University. Her intelligence of course can bring her to a good job. But that she is. She built SOKOLA RIMBA in 1999, in the jungle of Jambi, a school for the jungle children. According to her, anyone must get education, even children who live in the jungle.
She teaches the children reading, writing and counting. Her neighbors, except the children, are mosquitoes, frogs and the silent. But, “This is what I want. I like interacting with the nature. Moreover, I don’t look for money. I look for work.”
Go Butet, Go.

0 comments:

Post a Comment